Pregnancy is a miracle. Most any mother, or even mother to be, will be quick to agree. To see your little one on your ultrasound, feel their little hands and feet kicking and exploring, and knowing that you are the provider of security to the life you’ve created are all the wonderful sentiments we feel while pregnant.
In the beginning of my own pregnancy, I was super excited. I had the pregnancy glow and couldn’t wait to see my little belly start to poke out. And did it ever! By my sixth month, the pregnancy glow had transformed into fevers and hot flashes. The extra weight I’d put on to support my son was causing me back and joint pain, especially when I slept. I felt bloated and my feet swelled up a whole half a size!
Before being pregnant, I loved to dress up and keep my physical maintenance up. I was a girl who loved being a woman and feeling sexy. But when you’re 30 pounds heavier and swollen, it can be very hard to maintain yourself. When I woke up, the last thing I wanted to do was dress cute. Putting on some sweats, a tee, and my hair up in a messy bun was much quicker.
But soon I realized that dressing like a 40 year old man was not the way to go. I felt unattractive, and when I went out got those horrible “Oh she’s a depressed pregnant woman, poor thing” looks. I hated the feeling and the judgments so I decided to put my blues to the side and stop being such a bum! They even have sexy lingerie for pregnant women to help and make us feel good.
Pregnancy is beautiful, and it’s time we celebrate our bellies, dress them up, and make them sexy!
These are some sure quick changes you can make to instantly shake the baby blues and feel like the goddess that you are again:
1. Keep your eyebrows done – I know, I know, what? Eyebrows? Yes! Did you ever notice how when you slack on keeping your eyebrows done and let them start growing in, you can do your makeup and hair the same as you always do, and you still look different. The truth is that when your eyebrows are done with a clean curve, it instantly cleans up and balances your facial features. Yucky eyebrows that have outgrown hairs grab people’s attention, taking that attention away from your other fabulous features.
If your eyebrows are not shaped or have grown out to the point of no return, drop the $ 6-8 at a salon to have them waxed. You can also have them threaded, which costs a bit more but looks wonderful. Once you’ve got them done, keep them in shape. Use a slanted tip tweezers to take out any hairs that have started growing in every few days (but do NOT get tweezer happy, barley there eyebrows are not cute). Try this out and you’ll notice right away the new open space your face has.
2. Lotion Up – I know it can be frustrating to bend every which way to cover yourself in lotion, but it’s well worth it. I’d suggest using a thick cocoa butter as this has been known to decrease or even eliminate stretch marks. Lather up at least twice a day, in the morning and before putting on your PJ’s are good choices.
Keeping your skin hydrated with lotion will prevent the itchy irritation that can be caused as skin stretches, and dry, flaky skin is embarrassing and uncomfortable. Use a yummy scented body butter to feel and smell extra sexy.
3. Shave! – Keeping your legs smooth and silky is a super quick way to feel sexier. Whether your in the house wearing boxers or taking a stroll in the park, soft sexy legs are the ultimate way to declare to your mate or the whole world that “I am sexy and not afraid to show it!”
4. Keep your Nails Done – This is a phenomenal way to feel prettier. Having bitten off, ugly stub nails is looks sloppy. If you have a nail biting problem, try rubbing garlic on your fingers. Believe me, you’ll lose that urge pretty quickly!
You don’t even need to dish out big dollars at a nail salon to have your nails done. Just let them grow out a little bit (at least until the tips of your fingers) and keep a beige or light pink coat of polish on them. You can even do your French manicure. I also suggest getting a cuticle clipper and a nail file to keep your nails shaped. They both only cost around $ 1.00 in any general store.
If you’ve got a shaky hand, manicures aren’t too expensive at the salon. As long as it’s just a manicure and not some type of acrylic nails (these damage your real nails a lot anyway), it’ll usually only run you $ 10-20. Some places even offer great packages where you can get a manicure AND pedicure for around $ 25.
5. Change your hair – Getting a haircut is a great way to feel sexy. With your new hair style, you’ll want to dress cute, fix yourself up, and get out there to show off your new look. Search online or in magazines for different styles you might want to try. You can go for a big change like trying a bob cut if you’ve got long hair, or if you’re like me and unwilling to give up your long locks, just add some layers or a new style of bangs.
Many women want to know if they can dye their hair during pregnancy, as this would go along with a nice hair change. I would ask your doctor before dying your hair as they all have different recommendations for if and when it’s safe to do so.
Try out these tips out and I assure you, you’ll be glad you did. The little things matter. Pregnancy is a time to celebrate your womanhood and the little miracle inside you, not hide it under baggy clothing and a gloomy presence. Don’t be afraid to be pregnant and beautiful!